Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Christian Radio

So, I have always been super critical of Christian radio stations because they usually are terrible.  In CA the Christian radio stations only play crap and they play the same crap over and over and over.  This always got under my skin and just made me so mad that Christians couldn't do radio well.

Then we moved to St. Louis where Christian radio is actually good.  They still play some crap... for sure... but most of the music is lyrically uplifting and the content is top notch.  Again, some of it is still trash in style and content, but it is more good than bad.

I started thinking about Christian radio and who it reaches and then began to back off of my critical heart because Christian radio reaches a NEW believer in a BIG way.  A person who comes to Christ and decides to switch from Katy Perry, Pink, and Bruno Mars to Toby Mac, Mercy Me, and Kari Jobe will go from something purely secular to something that is ideally filling their mind with things of God instead of things of this world.

I try to remember this when I am critical, but it does raise the question.  Is 'better' Christian music that has biblically sound content 'most' of the time the goal or should we just give our Christian friends a Bethany Dillon, Derek Webb (early stuff), or Shane and Shane Album???

Thoughts???

No comments:

Post a Comment